FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Scale vs. Snow

So, no Random Song Friday this week.  Sorry about that.  It snowed all day Thursday and Friday.  I got more than 2 feet of the stuff.  My snowblower conked out again.  But I was almost done at least.

Here's a picture of my front walkway:

Snow!

As promised, I got a new scale.  Unfortunately, this also means that I need to press the reset button on my weight.  I probably started out weighing more than 216, probably more like 218 or more.  This new scale tells me my weight to one decimal point, BMI and % of body fat.  Percent of body fat is interesting because I'm working out pretty seriously.  I should be losing body fat quicker than weight.  As for BMI, this needs to be thrown out the window.  A 30 BMI is OBESE.  A man weighing 215 pounds at 5'11" has a BMI of 30.  (In other words, ME!)  There is no way anyone would EVER call me obese.  Overweight?  Sure, I am overweight.  Obese, NO! 

Anyway, along with my weight I'll be putting down % of body fat and BMI so we can follow along with it.

Brian's Stats
Current Weight: 213.6
Gain this week: 0.6 (probably not, but I'll stick to it)
Total loss: 2.4
% of body fat: 34.4%
BMI: 29.9 (yay!  no longer obese!)

Kate's Stats
Current Weight: 210
Loss this week: 1
Total loss: 3

So Kate is winning and she says that she's working out now too.  Go Kate!

3 comments:

kitty said...

that doesn't look like anywhere near 2 feet of snow!!

and YAY you!!

must be something in the air - the spousal unit just joined a gym... he is off to there today for the first time... well the first time since he joined anyway hehehe

once upon a time (when I was a teenager) they considered 50 pounds overweight to be obese... then a few years ago they lowered that number to 30 pounds (which is why the number of obese people in this country has grown so rapidly)

30 pounds is unhealthy for sure but obese? I think not!! but I guess we don't get to decide what obese actually is as it is a number not a look - but by those standards I would be obese at 145-150ish!!

if I was 30 pounds overweight (or had a BMI of 30 for that matter) or weighed anywhere near 150 - my doctor would be doing cartwheels haaaa

anyway this is why you need to go to the doctor and have tests done... THOSE are the numbers that matter!! what is your BP, cholesterol, triglycerides, glucose etc.

what is all the exercise and weight loss doing for your health - that is important thing!!

I know you like the mushroom treatment... but I would think someone like you would be most interested in THOSE numbers

Kate said...

Dude. NO ONE would call me obese. Not even in a bikini. I hear what you're saying. And I'm going on a date today and I'm so excited/nervous that I can't eat. So I'm totally winning.

BrianAlt said...

I plan on getting those other "stats". I'll have a full physical this spring.

It doesn't look like 2 feet, but it is, or was. That was after 24 hours of light or spotty snow. It got compressed and melted a little. I don't think the temperature was ever below 30º the entire storm. Weird. It also drifted. We had 5 foot drifts on the side of the house.