Today's Random Song Friday is Taxi by Harry Chapin.
Ah, there are so many songs I like better from the late Mr. Chapin then the everpresent Taxi, but the song certainly IS on my iPod and it came up randomly, so here it is.
When I was a teenager, probably 15 or 16, I was in the car with my dad and this song came on the radio. I liked the song and was singing parts of it. My dad then told me, "you know, this was one of the first songs on the radio that openly mentioned drug use."
I took this in for a moment and thought about the song and then realized he was right! It was about drug use. I had never thought about that before. So I said the very impressive statement, "really?!?" And he said, "yes, before this song it was a big taboo to discuss such things."
Looking back, there are times when you begin to feel a little more like an adult in your parent's eyes. This was one of those times. It sounds silly that a song about drug use would make me feel more adult, but it was obviously an adult topic and my dad felt I was old enough to mention such a thing to me. It's stayed with me ever since.
Now on to the BvK program. Kate and I both get a pass this week. Kate has been dealing with some stuff (see her blog for info) and I strained my back. I did recover from this a little bit late in the week. I put in one good workout and some cardio. I didn't lose any weight, but I was able to comfortably go down a belt loop! Now that's progress!
Current Weight - 213
This Week's Loss - 0 lbs.
Total Loss - 3 lbs.
Belt Loops Down - 1
Friday, February 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Current Weight - 211
This Week's Loss - 2
Total Loss - 2
Belts suck
I started at 213. Just so we're clear.
ok ya get this ONE pass from me hehehe - but the key is finding ways to deal with your stress/pain/whatever so that you don't turn to food or give yourself a free pass
it's easy to say 'I deserve it'
but what you really deserve is good health!!
and I don't know when I started feeling like an adult... I just remember realizing one day that my mother doesn't REALLY know everything - and it kinda blew my mind!!
Well, a pass is a little bit of a stretch. The pass wasn't so much about the food as it was about not exercising as much as I would have liked.
My goals are:
1) Fitness
2) Getting my head on straight
3) Losing weight
I know that 3 will happen naturally if I do 1, and to a lesser extent 2.
So the pass was more about 1 and 2 than it was about 3. The good news is I didn't let my problem derail my efforts and I was back out there exercising after a 2 day break.
So the belt loop is a big deal. Also, my usual jeans are feeling loose on the waist. I'll soon have to make my usual jeans ones that have been sitting in my closet for a while.
I also need a new scale. The one I have is old and bounces around. I'm not using that as an excuse, but the truth is, I'm not really sure how accurate my readings are. I'm going to search for a new scale right now.
Update: I ditched the pants. Too damn loose on the butt. Goodbye 38 waist, hello 36!
34 jeans, here we come!
just remember those crazy ass people on biggest loser... some of them weight twice what you weigh and look what they do (WITH injuries!!) haaa
just bustin' on ya hehehe
anyway I WAS gonna send you cookies - but now I don't want to - don't wanna mess you up :)
Good job Brian. I started in the same way as you, and lost 100lbs. And I've kept it off for about 4 years now. The key to success is making exercise and good nutrition a lifestyle rather than a fad :)
Yay! Bebe is here!
That's what I'm trying to do, change my lifestyle. I've tried it once before. Hopefully this time I can stick with it. (Got derailed last time after I injured my knee.)
Post a Comment