FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Friday, November 13, 2009

Ego much?

Let me preface this post by saying that I've been married for 18 years.  I've never physically cheated on my wife in that time plus at least 2-3 years before that.  So I've only been with one person in 20+ years.

I was at a conference a couple of years ago, an industry trade show.  I knew a good number of people attending, at least 30, maybe more.  Most people at this conference were men, but there was a decent smattering of women too.  The ratio was probably 4:1.  After the first day of the conference everyone was going out.  The conference was in Austin, so there were plenty of bars in walking distance.  If you've ever been there you know that Austin is a very lively place.  Every place had lots of people in them with bands playing and dance floors.  Most were partially open to the sky.  I can see why it's considered a pretty good place to party.


I went into this one place and there was a Tex-Mex band playing.  [Apparently called Tejano, I just looked it up.]  Not really my style, but I was with a big group.  After a while one of the women, a salesperson from a company I do business with, asks me to dance.  I hesitate since I don't really love to dance, the embarrassment factor, and I'm not loving the music (an excuse of course).  However, I quickly decided that I would.  I was kind of flattered to be asked.  The woman doing the asking was pretty attractive and I figured most of the guys would be impressed that I had the balls to get out there and do it.  Yes, guys think this way.  I had to wonder, why did this woman ask me out of all the guys that were there?  Does she find me attractive?  Maybe she just finds me safe?  Would this go anywhere?  Did I want it to?  Well, as I indicated above, it went nowhere.

Anyway, interestingly I'm having a meeting with this woman today.  We haven't seen each other in some time, around one year, and when I thought of this meeting I thought of the time we danced in Austin.  That's what this blog is all about, the things I think about well after they happen.  (See description above.)

So, to the women out in my blogging audience, I ask you what you think.  Was this a method of flirting?  Was it innocent?  Can I assume that she finds me attractive?  I mean, would she do me if she had the chance?

Yes, as a matter of fact I AM asking you to stroke my ego!

5 comments:

kitty said...

yes, ego, MUCH

Kate said...

Not to burst your bubble, but the people I ask to dance are the ones I deem "safe." As in won't take advantage of me or try anything funny.

BrianAlt said...

You're not bursting my bubble at all. While it would be nice to find out that she wants me, I know the reality of that.

What I really wanted to know was what she was thinking, from the woman's perspective. So, thanks!

And, uh, thanks to you Kitty...I guess. :P

kitty said...

hehehe I was trying to give a Brian-like response :P

I've never asked a guy to dance and I doubt I ever will... so I really have no useful input here - sorry

Naughti Biscotti said...

Why did she ask you to dance? Hmmmm... it could really be any one of a number of reasons. Women love to dance but oftentimes it's not about you... it's about them. Dancing makes a woman feel beautiful, sexy and somewhat on display. It's a safe way of saying "Look at me... look at me!" If she's a good dancer that is. Most want an attractive partner who won't step on their toes. She probably found you attractive but if she wanted to do you... well... this would have been a different blogpost wouldn't it?

You're a very attractive guy Brian. You don't need a woman to grab your **** to tell ya that.