So, today's song is Vera. Yes, that Vera by Pink Floyd from The Wall. It's a rather short song. In fact, here is the entire song:
Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?So, how should I relate this to my life? That's surprisingly easy. This album was big, REALLY BIG, when I was in high school. It came out in November, 1979 and I started high school in September, 1980. (I'm 43, no need to do the math.) So you can imagine how big this album was when I was in high school. In fact, it hit #1 in 1980. So it's not a shock to say that this album was one of my most often played in HS, right?
Remember how she said that
We would meet again
Some sunny day?
Vera! Vera!
What has become of you?
Does anybody else here
Feel the way I do?
This album spoke to my soul! I had built a wall around myself. After being teased and tormented the first two years at high school, I felt like I needed a wall. Who would I let into that wall? Would I allow anyone to break it? Anyone? No one?
Does anybody else here feel the way I do? It's hard to imagine that anyone is going through the same thing at that age. Of course at 43 it's easy to imagine that everyone else is, but at 15 I was pretty sure that I was the only one that felt the way I did. So that line always stuck out on this album for me; it always spoke directly to me.
Today I have a daughter that will soon turn 14. I pretty sure she feels the same way. I think she feels misunderstood. She genuinely just wants to love and be loved. She only wants to be nice and doesn't understand why others are not nice back. This means that she will get hurt. She will build a wall. She will be very different in two years time. She thinks that no one understands, but her parents understand.
It's sad thinking about this for her, the way that it never was for myself. But this is my child and I love her. Be strong baby!

4 comments:
Although I tend to let it all hang out on my blog, you have to be pretty dang committed to me to get over my wall. If I see you trying to climb it and I'm not ready, I'll shoot you down.
IT's just how we are. It's how SOME of us are. It's a hard road to take.
ok now I really mean it - this post is bugging me!! every time I come here looking for a new one - this song gets stuck in my head!!
I really want to post something. I actually have 2 in my head. But I've been too busy. Maybe later today.
Having taught high school for 5 years, what your daughter is going through is a normal part of the maturation process.
Post a Comment