FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Friday, October 30, 2009

Hypocrite?


I was a good student, I was a smart student, but I didn't do my homework.  When I was a freshman in high school my mother went to open school night.  She visited with my Biology teacher, Mrs. Lee.  Mrs. Lee told my mother what a good student I was, how I was doing well on tests, how I was participating in class.  Then she said, "let me look in my book here to see how he's doing." 

Well, my mother AND my teacher had quite a shock.  I was missing 20+ homework assignments.  I, on the other hand, was not shocked.  My mother then went from class to class and pretty much was told the same story.  Bottom line, "Brian wasn't doing his homework." 

Why?  Why wasn't I doing my homework?  Not for any good reason, really.  It was pretty easy, for the most part.  Probably would have taken me 20-30 minutes per night.  Sure, sometimes more, but often less.  I think I just didn't want to be bothered.  I wanted to play video games, I wanted to play baseball, play guitar, do everything, ANYTHING, but my homework.  I was asked by one person if I was rebelling, and I have to say, NO, I was not rebelling.  From what?

Flash forward (that's a good show, by the way) to the present year.  I have a 13-year old daughter in the 8th grade.  Guess what?  RIGHT!  She's not doing her homework.  But today is different.  The teachers know and inform the parents IMMEDIATELY.

We got a computerized report in the mail a few weeks ago that she was missing a couple of assignments.  We knew about those, so no real punishment, but a pretty strict warning that something was coming if it didn't straighten out.  The next week I got an email from her teacher about the same class on the report.  The teacher told me that my daughter had missed 4 assignments SINCE the report.  Well, we weren't very happy.  So, my daughter will miss Halloween.  She had a big, I mean BIG, party to go to with all of her friends that she will miss.  She also will not be going Trick-or-treating.  She's not happy now either.

So, part of me feels like I'm being a good parent and doing the right thing.  However, I can't help but feel like a little bit of a hypocrite.  Ya know?

4 comments:

kitty said...

I NEVER did homework... I remember even in kindergarten not being allowed out for recess because I didn't do my homework... and it was all down hill from there!! hehehe

as I got older my mother started grounding me... it didn't help

but I was NOT a smart student, failed pretty much every class, eventually dropped out - and only managed to get my GED by the skin of my teeth!!

I think at 13 it's kind of important to make sure your daughter knows you mean business

Kate said...

Bummer. What did YOUR mother do?

Jocelyn said...

Brian, you're blogging again! YAY! I've missed having you around to pic...comment on. :>D

You might want to take a look at her friends...they are the main influence on teens, not parents [so sorry]. You are entering the Twilight Zone my friend, when that sweet child becomes a hostile stranger.

Of course you're a hypocrite! Show me a parent who isn't. lol. I skipped classes ALL the time, but I nearly killed my kids when I found out they were cutting class.

BrianAlt said...

My mother made me do all the homework I had missed. It took a while, but I got it all done.

There may have been a punishment too, I don't recall, but it probably wasn't too severe.

My daughter's friends are GREAT! One time my wife told my daughter that she couldn't go over her friend's house until she cleaned her room. She was complaining about how unfair her mother is and complained to her friend. Her friend said, "just clean your room. Get it over with, then you can come over." Yay! Go friend.

They also all came over our house Halloween night and got on their knees and begged my wife to let her out. But, to no avail. It was cute and sweet though, not overwhelming and nasty.

They're an intelligent bunch and they tend to push each other academically. She's lucky to be part of such a good group. We'll see what happens in high school, but as of this last year in middle school, we couldn't wish for better friends for her.